Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Well I'm here

Okay wow got so much to talk about I don't know where exactly to start. Lets see so the rest of the plane ride was really long and so uncomfortable. I could not get a wink of sleep. I don't want to ever do that plane ride again, it was terrible. I was worried about the customs with my dvds so what I did was I just took a new form and said that I didn't have anything that violated prohibited items and the guy at customs just took my paper and said "ganbatte". I guess they check that stuff before I get it anyways. The whole immigration, if thats the write word, was very professional and strict feeling. Also the airport had a very contemporary look to it.

So I get out of customs and find the staff from konan holding a sign, one of them recongized me right away. I then messed around with the calling cards to tell my family I am ok. It took a while I think someone was using the phone at 11pm because I ended up having to call dad's cell phone. We then waited around for the bus to come and take us to the shearton hotel on rokka island. The view of Osaka was amazing. I tell you I've never seen anything like it. The roads were so clean and organized and the city was mixed with giant apartment complexes, traditional houses, a castle, golf driving ranges, and industrial sites. There are also giant and amazing looking bridges. Each one was a diffrent color and design. I said that the red bridge must be the leader of the bridges.

So we get to the hotel and it is amazing. The nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. They gave us a packet and we were free for the night. I made plans to go out with my roommates because I didn't want to get lost in Japan on my own. It took a while to get everyone together and ready but when we did, man I don't even know what to say about this place. There is such a varriety in architecture and there is this sense of order around everything. There were a few children playing by themselves at night and none of the bikes are locked. Like entire bicycle parking lots full of bikes that aren't locked because no one is worried about theft. There were even bikes that had locks but the owner must have felt it wasn't worth the effort. We walked around these really spacious and empty feeling malls or shopping center, I don't know what to really call it. We stopped in a comic store for a bit, that was awesome. We then went to a restaurant and ordered in Japanese, which we didn't do that well but the fact that we did is pretty impressive. I had katsu don, oh man was it good. We then went back to the hotel and called it a night. The hotel is very western but they did provide us with yukatas which are really comfortable. Oh and the toilet! The seat warmer and water spray sound silly but once you use them your sold.

The next day my stomach ache that has been coming and going every since I left Tucson hit me pretty hard and I was up pretty early because of it. Once everyone was up and ready we went downstairs to this breakfeast buffet, they gave us passes for it, and I went for the more japanese type food. I don't know what I ate but it was all pretty good except for the natto. I first tried it by itself and it was this weird sticky type web between each soybean and it wasn't repulsive tasting but there is just no way you could eat it by it self. We ultimately mixed it with rice and soy sauce and it became do-able.

We then headed out for Konan university. We all gathered up and walked over to the train station where we bought a ticket to sumiyoshi and then transfered to something yamamoto. The trains are pretty good quality, nice and clean. They did have signs saying to not use your cell phone while on the train, which is something you wouldn't see in America. The school is about 15 min walk from the station. I wish I could take the time to take more pictures, it really is just a sight to behold.

We then were in a classroom for a few hours going over various things and doing introductions. We had to introduce our classmates infront of everyone. Most people did theres in English but I did mine in Japanese. In my mind I knew exactly how I wanted to say it but when I got up there I got a bit of stage fright and messed up and skipped stuff. I think I am in the upper middle of language ability in this group. There are some people who seem to really know there stuff and others who know hardly any at all. I'm actually really excited about starting class and learning more Japanese. My stomach ache was a real problem here as well. I knew this was going to happen so I brought some pepto bismol but I put in my luggage that was sent to my host family. Somehow I've manged to survive it all but this day would have been much better with out it.

We then had a guided tour of the school by some Japanese students. They spoke English but we were able to have a good mixed language converstation. The cafeteria is something I think I'm going to like, most dishes are under 300 yen and are a very good portion. I noticed a big difference right away between American restaurants and Japanese, the drink. At the cafetria you could get a juice box but there was no soda, can or fountain to befound. Instead there was a stack of small cups and water jugs behind the register. Even though the cup was small it felt like enough, its weird.

We then went through more information sessions were we got computers working at what not after that we went to a club demonstration. One of our teachers is not quite a master or anything like that but really skilled at that Japanese dance where it is very slow specific movements. It was really amazing but if I was feeling well I know I would have appreciated it more. We then saw a kendo demo and a kenpo demo. Kenpo looks cool, it looks like much more practical fighting styles. Its 6 hour a week of practice so I dunno if I want to do something quite like that. We then saw a demo from the music group and one of their freinds I guess was wearing a cardboard gundam costume with a costume horse head. It was really weird but cool at the same time. I really wanted to get a picture of that.

That brings things up to speed I suppose, we are going to a restaurant as a group from here then back home. I'll write soon .

Also very important I now have my japanese pictures up so check it out
My Picasa account

No comments: