Monday, September 8, 2008

Starting to get used to this place

Well it seems like life here is starting to normalize. Nothing incredible amazing happened this weekend. I did spend a lot time inside watching TV with host-mom, only news type shows but all of Japanese tv is weird. Also I went to Sannomiya by myself on Sunday.

I gotta say something about the tv first. Non stop the news has been covering a story about this one particular sumo wrestler and I couldn't figure out what he did until I asked kasan(host mom) and she said he test positive for marajuna use. I was pretty shocked. Like in America I'm pretty sure only possesion is a crime and tons of celebraties and politicians have admited to trying pot and here in Japan the fact that a somewhat famous person used pot is big enough news that it needs 24 hour coverage. Just crazy.

Getting to Sannomiya it self was pretty easy, I took the kobe line from maruyama station to shinkaichi station (last station everyone gets off) then follow the signs towards Osaka and get on. Sannomiya is a really nice shopping center with hundreds of small and large stores very close to each other. I checked out a book store and thought it was a pretty small one or something but was really surpised when I saw that it was 6 stories tall and each floor was enourmous. I think in all it was bigger then the u of a library. The manga section was also huge, like atleast 10 giant isles just jam packed. I ended up getting shounen eesu (one of those various manga in one giant book things), a faimatsu magazine (gaming) and terebikun (tokusatsu magazine designed for kids). I also went to an electronic store and found a really cool video game section with a giant MGS4 old snake statue and all sorts of new and old games and I also saw that the TVs are like twice the price here, I don't get that.

On the way back I did get lost because from sannomiya station I did take the wrong direction train, realized it then got off after a few stations waited for the one going back the right direction found one, got on it then it stopped again at sannomiya. I waited a bit then it went backwards to the wrong direction again. I got off at the first station and asked this japanese girl and she was really helpful, apparently you have to take the express train to go back, I don't know how I'm supposed to know stuff like that but oh well.

1 comment:

HeatherK said...

Ben! Me and Tyler was getting sad that you hadn't blogged:( I'm glad Japan is still awesome for you. You should have made rules about the 360, tyler hogs it all:( And i have became addicted to Lost Odyssey, and I never get to play. Take Care!

PS. Take more pictures!