Friday, September 5, 2008

Host Family

Firday the 5th of September

This has been the scariest day of my life but at the same time the day that I realized that I am the luckiest guy in the world. Today was the day that we met our host families. We ate breakfast as normal then went back up to get dressed for the party. I asked the front desk for an Iron, which I should have done in Japanese because the guy seemed to have a little bit of trouble understanding, then started getting ready. We all finished up and packed up all of our stuff and I called maintenance to pick up the iron, I did that in Japanese but it didn't go as smoothly as possible. We then went from a few different rooms and had some of the KIEC staff tell us some things about being polite to the host family and what not.

Then came the big moment where we gathered in an line and they called the host family and us. I was getting so nervous. I don't know why I have spoken to people who only know Japanese before but it was really getting to me. Then I finally got to meet Otoshi-kasan. She scared me a little bit because she, and I mean this in a nice way, has kind of a crazy old lady look to her. The conversation at first was a little rough and difficult but then the party started and we could mingle and eat. She talked a lot with all of her friends and at this point I was kind of thinking “oh jeez what have I gotten myself into” After the party we got into her car, which is really nice, and we drove to the ward office.

Along the way we said a few things but this language barrier was getting rough. Well I mean it was possible but I was nervous and bumbling with my speech left and right. I got to see a really nice view of Kobe though. Anyways we go to the court house type thing, uh municipal office maybe? And we got my gaikokujin paper work thingies and there was one girl who talked amazingly fast. I could not keep up. It was a normal office but everything being in japanese it was just so new and ,of course, foreign. Oh another thing I noticed, Japanese people always seem to back up into a parking spot, usually at great effort. When we got the house she backed up with her side next to the wall then got out the passenger side.

The house though, this was what made me realize how lucky I am. Its freaking huge for a Japanese house and really good size for an American one. My bed room is a 6 tatmi size room which, if my family is reading this its a little smaller then Jessie's room. Next they have a freaking HUGE tv. Probably a 52 lcd or something. And Japanese TV is almost all HD, I really like that. Also we talked about the rules and the only thing she cares about is that I tell her when I'm coming home each day. If I'm going to eat dinner with friends just call her by 4 or 5 so she wont make as much and if I'm going to stay later then normal just give her a call. She also said I could have parties here. From the start of the day my nervousness was at an all time high and by dinner it had dropped quite a bit, until I finally understood about Stephan. Stephan stayed with them as a foreign exchange student 2 years ago and became such good friends he lives with them while he works as an English teacher. So I have an emergency person to talk to if I have to, and it shows just how freaking awesome they are.

All of this has made me realize that my life has pointed me down this amazing path by all of the things I thought were misfortunes in the past. Not being able to move to Florida, moving back in with my parents, not being able to be a foreign exchange student right after transferring to U of A, all of that put me on the path of having the best possible experience in Japan and probably the most amazing thing I will ever do in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah 1st post! anywho you seem to really be liking it there. thats good. and that is wierd, a window fogger. who would have thought that you would want that ever! so the family is nice but be careful. the "crazy old lady" could be a "crazy old ninja". and one more thing. in your pictures waz that really a Honda Thats. OMG i want one just because its so stupid. im glad you like it there and take your time there to enjoy everything you can. it sounds amazing.