Thursday, May 28, 2009

I will not miss my host family.

I had to fight back the urge to vomit while eating breakfast this morning. Inside my salad (which I don't like eating for breakfast) was two bugs! I'm not a germaphobe but I can not stand bugs in my food, like I don't think that is an unreasonable line to draw. And as I tried to tell myself it was just the salad not the rest I see all of these bugs running around the counter. What the heck! why doesn't my host mom freaking do anything to stop the bugs from running around where they make food.

And its not just the kitchen there are bugs all over the bathroom, crawling around the sink, on the toothpaste (which they always leave open!) and probably over their toothbrushes. I always leave mine in a sealed plastic bag but I would be freaking out if I had even the slightest thought that a bug was crawling on something that would go in my mouth.

And the other day a HUGE spider appeared in my room, like much bigger then I've ever seen in Arizona. It ran into my closet and I shut the door on him but I was left not knowing if it was still in there waiting to jump out next time I needed to get in.

There is nothing in this house that separates it from the outside. Windows are left open without a screen all day long, everyday regardless of outside temperature. There are big spaces between doors to the outside and no sealing between the wall and the floor.

I really hate how my host mom asks me a question but doesn't wait for a reply just makes some statement how I love gundams or something stupid like that. I totally sense that you have to respect your elders kind of mindset with the way she talks down to me. And she is really full of herself. She'll say stuff like other Japanese people are racist but okaasan (mom) isn't. I dont think she has ever referred to herself as anything but okaasan. And my dad pretty much only talks in sound effects. Like he will be saying he walked from one place to another and to say it was far he just goes "BAAAAAAAAAAA"

Aside from a few things I don't care for the cooking either. Usually I don't have to worry about bugs in my food (although there have been other cases) but I'm just bored by the food and I just eat it because its there, like I would never order it at a restaurant.

I really hate this room too, its so freaking tiny. Tatami mats are stupid now a days. They really are, they don't do anything for the temperature, they are crazy hard to clean if you spill anything, you can easily drop something down the cracks between them, and they break really easily. I've spent so much time in this little room I just can't stand it anymore.

I hate to be so negative about my last few days in Japan but this aspect of the experience took away from the overall enjoyment rather then added to it. Everything else about being here was great, lots of fun with friends, Japanese language class was very effective in the end, and all of the stuff I've seen has been incredible. I just wish I lived in a dorm instead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dorms have their own troubles. I had a host family, got sick of my "okaa-san" with (what I thought to be) dumb, stupid comments and so forth. But, dorms are just drama. Full of it.