Sunday, December 21, 2008

Tokyo part 2

So Saturday we decided to let Erin decide what to do and we ended up going to Ueno Zoo. It was actually kind of a disapointing zoo. First of all the big attraction was the giant panda, but it died earlier this year. Besides that the animals all looked really sad and weak. Like I`m no animal rights activists or anything but these animals looked really miserable in that zoo, and some of them not that healthy. We then walked around Ueno for a bit. Tokyo is really a beautiful city. The city scape just keeps going and even though it is a big city it feels so safe and clean. After walking around there for a while we went back to Asakusa. There was a really big area for street shopping and little stores that just seemed to go on for ever. We spent a few hours walking around and ate dinner at a kaitensushi place. It was good but once I ate squid sushi, I was done. Squid is the toughest thing in the world to eat. Its so chewy you can not bite it at all. There was a strong bit of wasabi underneath too so ugh I couldn`t eat anymore after that. The staff there found out we knew some Japanese and they were so impressed. They must get tons of foreigners everyday who don`t know a word so it felt good to kind of show off a little bit. After that we got some ice cream and called it a night.

Today we woke up earlier and made it out of the hostel at a decent time. For breakfeast we went to a dennys which was pretty diffrent. Like they had eggs toast sausage but I don`t think there was thing on the menu that was exactly the same. After that we got to Akihabara!

Now I have wanted to go to Akihabara for years, it was easily the place I wanted to go to more so then anywhere else in the world; and now after having gone it wasn`t what I was expecting but I wasn`t dissapointed. First of all, I could not find cosplayers! I found maids handing out flyers and I saw 1 foreinger dressed as naruto`s sakura but that was it. I don`t know if people don`t do it all year round or what but I couldn`t find the parades of cosplayers I was searching for. However the shopping is incredible. There are TONS of stores, I got so lost and turned around it just drained me. It wasn`t just the anime stores but tons of electronic stores and DVD+CD places. I didn`t actually go crazy with spending though. Osaka and Kobe have some pretty decent anime stores so I knew what was out there and whats normal prices, and truth betold I only want to buy gundams. DVDs wont play on my stuff at home, figures can get pretty pricy and you dont get to build them, and my japanese just isn`t good enough to enjoy reading manga yet. But I did come out pretty well with the Gundams, I got 6 for 8100 yen, all of them close to half off. Two of them are master grades, three of them are metalic reflective coating models, and four of them are 1/100 scale.

Going to Akihabara had been one of the big life goals of mine and now I can check it off the list, how many people can say that? Feels pretty good

Well I`ve got more things to do in Tokyo for the next two days so I`ll update later

No comments: