Thursday, December 18, 2008

Going to tokyo tomorrow!

Right now I am kind of out of it. On the 18th (today) Final Fantasy Dissida came out. Its a really cool fighting game for the PSP that has the villains and heroes from FF1-12 (although 11 and 12 only get one character each while 1-10 gets a hero and villain). So anyways some other foreign exchange students said they wanted to get it at midnight and even though I wasn't super crazy about getting it right away, I love midnight releases, so I emailed them asking what was up last night and they said they were all heading down to Umeda. So ok I thought I'll head down too. We get there and yodobashi is closed. No body actually took the time to find out if there was a midnight release. So we are all sitting there kind of stupefied with ourselves. And we decidced to do all night karaoke and get it in the morning. We walk around for a bit, first trying to find a bathroom for Courtney, then we check out an arcade for a bit and I played a really crazy version of half life 2. It was an arcade game and you sat in a chair and you had a mouse like joy stick on your left hand and a flight stick on your right. The game was heavily edited to be more of an arcade game but the controls just didnt work. In some of the wii shooter games you have to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to move the character, it was the same thing. It just didn't really work out, and controlling a human by using weird joysticks like that didn't make it feel more realistic or anything.

We then tried out a kaiten sushi place. Kaiten is that conveyor belt thing where they just have plates of sushi going around and you pick up what you want. The plates all cost 130 yen so they just counted the amount of plates you have at the end to pay. It was really obvious however that no one there liked their job. The plates were not very clean and the chef had this tube of mayo that he uses on some of the sushi (mayo is diffrent in Japan and usually really good on japanese food). But he just squirts some on the floor! Its like what the heck that is NOT sanitary at all. And then when we called over the cashier, she was definitely not the super spunky clerk you see everywhere else i Japan. So we then go to the karaoke place and spend so long there. The tiredness was getting to me at the end and you know how your throat gets kind of acidicy if you are up really late drinking soda? I had that pretty bad. I've come to really like singing only Japanese songs. Most of them are a challenge just to get the words out in time but its fun.

The all night karaoke ended at 6 am. But yodobashi didn't open until 9:30! We walked back to yodobashi and so a place seling the game at 7am. However the other people were buying the special edition psp bundle so they had to get it there. I wanted to be a good friend and wait with them but for the life of me I just couldn't sit around for 3 more hours. I got mine at 7am and tatsuya put out a folding table just outside of thier store and a cash register and boxes of the games. A few people started to gather but I got mine pretty early on. I hurried back to the train station and started to play but I was falling asleep playing it, I was so tired. I did what I could to get home and crashed in my bed. I set my alarm to go off in 3 hours because I wanted to go to class and turn in my paper in person but my alarm didnt go off, or didnt wake me up and I slept until class just started. I then went back to bed and got up at around 3pm. I emailed the teacher then spent the rest of the day packing and playing dissida. I'm pretty tired right now and I have to board the night bus at 11:30 tonight. Hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll just passout and be all genki for tokyo friday morning. We all did a really bad job of actually planning this trip so it'll be interesting to see what we end up doing. It's all pretty cool finally going to akihabara and seeing what all of the fuss is really about.

Well I'm going to head off back to umeda soon so I'll write back when I return from tokyo.

---Ben

No comments: