Saturday, January 8, 2011

nintendo 3ds impressions.

Ok so I am very lucky and I live only two hours away from the tokyo area so I was able to attend nintendo world 2011. The free event was set up to show off the new 3ds. So how was it? Short answer, I plan to buy one at launch. Long answer....

So the big thing is of course the 3d. And for the most part it worked really well. Much like 3d movies it isn't as much about things jumping out at you but more that you can look into the picture. Being able to look into the games world adds a lot to the experience. It may sound cheesy to say so but it feels like the video game world is more real, like the characters exist just out side of your reach. I worry about dating games on this because some people might get even more attached to the virtual girls. But it wasn't perfect. It took a bit getting used to and depending on how you hold it things might look a little flickery. You don't have to worry about loosing the 3d effect mid game play but each person will have a sweet spot. Speaking of sweet spots it is really good nintendo included a slider for the 3d because I found some settings better then others. I've also noticed that all 3d is not equal. Some games had more of a flicker to it then others. I noticed a lot of flicker in the metal gear solid demo.

The unit itself isnt that different from the ds. It does of course have an analog stick which is great. It is way better then what the psp has. It feels good and moves quickly. The units are really glossy which looks nice in photos but the smudges would drive me crazy. I didn't get to hold one without the security device on it but it felt the same as the ds .

I played dead or alive , street fighter , ridgeracer , kid ikuras , and resident evil. Doa was good. Looked nice just like doa3 the 3d was nice when the guys fell down to the next part of the stage and not too much flickering. Street fighter was great . It looks like the console version and had a sort of behind the player camera which also looked great in 3d. What really made me like it is yhr same thing that will make serious fans hate it , you have moves assigned to the touch screen. If you suck at moves like me just press a square on the touch screen to do a fireball. The combo gauge moves are also there and light up when they are ready. Very n00b friendly. Ridgeracer didn't have that great of graphics. It is obvious that this is a quick cash in but playing a racing game in 3d was a lot of fun. You can better sense the speed and how far away you are from the other cars. Kid ikarus was awesome. Flying in 3d was reallyy something else and makes me think how great all on rail shooters like Panzer dragoon would be. The demo was really easy but you have simple controls easy targetting and fun combat. It may be the killer app at launch. Resident evil seemed to go back to its roots with this one as the game is scarry. Movement is like re5 but shooting is done in first person. So when you pull out your gun the analog stick controls where you are aiming. First person looked great in 3d and made it scarrier at that monster just gets closer and closer to you. One little thing I loved was when you take damage the border of the screen turns red like most games but this effect just looked really cool in 3d.

I also saw a.video for metal gear paper mario and mario mart. Paper mario impressed me the most because he really looks like a piece of paper in a 3d world now.

So the 3ds is great and I will get mine in a month and a half and I think everyone should get one when they can.

No comments: