Thursday, August 26, 2010

I have peanut butter

I love my life right now. I love it, because I now have peanut butter. I was feeling very frustrated with food because I know so little and I was growing very tired of Japanese take out. I was walking around Besia (almost exactly the same as walmart) hoping to find something different to eat, and then I found it. A jar of peanut butter! Peanut butter is one of those rare import only foods in Japan and its not everyday you find it. Even at around $5 for a small size, I was overjoyed. I then had one of those, wow my life is awesome moments. 5 minutes from my house and I have peanut butter. How many English teachers in Japan can honestly say that? I could have been placed anywhere in Japan and I got Kamogawa. I got a place that has two used Game/DVD rental stores, two large grocery stores, several different Karaoke places, and all of the odds and end stores that I need. All within 10 minutes of my house. On top of that my schools really aren't far away at all. I am only going to one school tomorrow and it is only about 5 minutes away. Kamogawa has everything that I honestly need. And Tokyo is just right there. 2 hours on the bus and I'm there. I've been to Chiba city a few times and it really isn't all that bad of a trip.

And then the people here are so nice. All of the teachers and the BOE people I have meet have been fantastic! Taking me out to lunch, helping me clean my apartment when I first move in, bringing me random vegetables to bring home. I feel so unworthy to receive such kindness. And it goes beyond work too. I've been invited over for lunch with church members and I just got back from a little english conversation circle and they already are making plans to go Karaoke and eat bbq for a welcome party for me. It's wonderful.

And I love being called Sensei. It is weird. I mean I have no education training, I have no experience, and yet I am given the same respect as someone who went to school specifically for this job and has been doing it for years. I think the kids look up to me and I just feel wonderful being able to help them.

I really love my life right now. I am looking forward for school to start proper and I hope it is just as rewarding as helping with the speech contest has been.

No comments: