Wednesday, February 11, 2009

hima sugiru

Last week we had the entire week off because of the nyugakushiken (entrance exams for freshmen) and today was some random holiday, normally vacation time is nice but right now its just way too much. I'm really bored. Last week like I said in the last post I built the wing zero custom perfect grade gundam, and despite some set backs and having to heavy duty gluing some parts its done and taking up the last bit of space I have in this room. But besides two days thats all I did last week.

Last Thursday I wanted to find out how far it would take to walk from my house to my friends house who also lives in nagata (its a ward, like the one subdivision below a city). I had an idea of how to get there so I grabbed by camera and just headed off in the direction that seemed right. It was a really pretty day and the whole time I kept thinking "why haven't I done this sooner?". Japan's city scape just has this certain charm about it that I was really taking in. I posted all of the pictures I took that day in my picasa account under "kobe". I particularly like the way the power lines in here are just so crazy and all over the place, there were a lot of pictures of those. It turns out that it was a good 35 min walk and I sent her an email asking if she wanted to do anything but I ended up just seeing how far I could walk. By following the train tracks I got to downtown kobe and saw so much there I hadn't noticed before. I got to pretty much the spot where I bored the train going home and it takes about 40-45 mins to get home so I was pretty tired after several hours of walking.

Saturday I decided to do the same thing but this time in Osaka. I arrived in Umeda (again ward, this is one of the major ones) and looked at a map, figured out which direction was south and just started to walk. I ended up walking for about 5 hours but I wasn't worried about getting lost because all I had to do was find a train track of a subway entrance, which are everywhere in Japan, and I could easily get back to Umeda and thus home. I again took some really cool pictures and they are under the folder "osaka". The main street I followed was interesting because it was mostly buisness and government office type buildings but on the other side of the street going parallel was this incredibly long shopping hall. I say shopping hall because I don't know what else to call them. Its like a wide ally with a roof and shops of all sorts on both sides. These shopping halls go on for miles!, or kilometers!, and before I knew it I was in Nanba (a ward I go to a lot), so I instantly knew where I was. Even though I wanted to do some new exploring I thought this might be a good time to really take a lot of pictures of my beloved den den town (den means electricity and its like the osaka akihabara, maybe half the size). Stores usually don't like you taking pictures of their stores so I only took pictures from outside but I got most of the stores so maybe someone looks at it they can kind of get an idea of what its like.

I spent more time there then I had intended and then went south from den den town and there was a drastic change in Osaka from that point. Up until den den town it was very close and tall buildings everywhere but it quickly dropped off to smaller more home like places. Like if I had to compare it its like new york quickly becoming tucson. I don't know if I can really explain it but it was a really interesting feeling.

Sunday I went to church and ended up having lunch with the missionaries and an investigator. There was a fireside that night so I just killed some time until then and we had some dinner and got to socialize a little. I talked to these other missionaries for a while and one of them was really obsessed with smash brothers brawl but he was on his mission when it came out so he couldn't play it. He kept asking me all of the particular questions about how each character was. I hadn't played the game in 5 months and didn't pay too much attention to that stuff when I was playing it anyways. The fireside was about the history of the church in Kobe, of course in Japanese. My Japanese has defiantly improved a lot but I still suck at listening. What happens is I hit a little streak of parts I don't understand, loose my place then kind of space out, thus forgetting what little I did get and suddenly I have no idea whats going on.

Monday nothing amazing happened except I got a compliment from the mean Japanese teacher. In the thing we read it was a story about how this ryugakusei's host mom was upset because she didn't recieve a letter from the ryugakusei's real mom and the teacher asked me what I thought about it, and I said "its like Japanese people are thought of as kids even when they are college students but in America as soon as your 18 your thought of as an adult so the parents have nothing to do with the host family, also sending letters is a little annoying now a days". The teacher said I said it really well but she didn't like my opinion.

I know my reading skills have improved for sure, I've now read 16 volumes of manga. I don't get all of the plot points but I'm still pretty impressed with myself. I really wanted to watch gundam 0083 because I got the models from the series but all my friend could find was a Chinese subbed version so I just watched that. I was able to understand enough to enjoy the show but when it got towards the end the plot got way too hard to understand. 0083 was made in 1990 so its so different from current animation but it felt very nostalgic. There is just something about cel animation that I really like.

Today I did nothing at all. I wanted to go to Kyoto and walk around but left foot hurt for some reason. I worked on a gundam model for a bit played some final fantasy 6 on my psp but thats about it.

So as I read the Book of Mormon it really amazes me the faith the ancient people had in Christ. They had faith that he would come and all we have to have faith in is that he will come again. Jesus of Nazarath was 100% a real person that actually lived and actually did something to upset the Jewish leaders to get crucified. There is historical evidence of it. The apostles saw the resurrected Christ, testified of that fact, and dedicated their life to telling people about it. The catholic church started up 2000 years ago because of the apostles (Peter right?). Like that in itself ought to be enough for us as humans to believe in Christ but God gave us a second book that aligns perfectly and testifies to the same thing. Its like how much more evidence does God need to give us for stubborn people like us?

Well like always when I think I have nothing to say I end up writting tons so later yall

No comments: